The Sloan Award application process is open for employers of all sizes that are proud of their innovative and effective workplace practices. The Sloan Awards, given annually by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and the Families and Work Institute (FWI), honor organizations that are using workplace flexibility as a strategy to make work “work” better—for the employer and the employee.
Worksites located in one of the participating When Work Works partner communities or states should select that community when registering to apply. An employer that does not have a worksite located in one of the participating communities may apply as an at-large applicant. Note that the final deadline for at-large applications has been extended to May 10, 2013. However, the application deadline in some partner communities is earlier. Please check the deadline for the community or state where your worksite is located
For more information about the 2013 competition and to apply for a Sloan Award, click here.
In 2012, hundreds of organizations applied for the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility, resulting in 352 winning worksites. Since 2005, the Sloan Awards have been recognizing model employers of all types and sizes across the U.S. for their innovative and effective workplace practices. Data from the Sloan Award employer and employee surveys can help your organization’s leaders determine the status of flexibility in your organization—identifying areas of excellence and room for improvement.
This is a unique opportunity to showcase your organization’s flexibility strategies and better understand how your programs compare to others.
Need other reasons to apply? Check out these Top 10 Reasons to Apply for an Alfred P. Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility:
10. Provides a great opportunity to strengthen your organization’s brand.
9. Lets your customers know that you are an employer of choice in responding to the needs of employees and their families.
8. Gives you a tool to use to recruit and retain top talent.
7. Involves you in a vibrant and engaging network of organizations that are using workplace flexibility as an effective business strategy.
6. Increases your organization’s visibility by being an expert source on issues of effective and flexible workplaces for the media.
5. Shows your employees that an effective and flexible workplace is a priority for your organization.
4. Offers you the opportunity to be a winner and get national and local recognition.
3. Enables you to be featured in the Guide to Bold New Ideas for Making Work “Work,” the go-to source on best practices.
2. Provides an opportunity for you to learn what your organization is doing well and how these efforts can be enhanced through the benchmarking reports provided to all applicants.
And the No. 1 reason to apply for an Alfred P. Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility: Stand out from your competition as an organization whose leadership values its employees.
Lisa Horn is co-leader of SHRM’s Workplace Flexibility Initiative.
Applications Being Accepted for 2013 Sloan Work Flex Awards, SHRM Online Benefits Discipline, January 2013
SHRM Online Benefits Discipline
SHRM Online Workplace Flexibility Resource Page