The student chapter status is assessed each fall after receipt of the Student Chapter Information Form and prior to the end of the fall semester.
An active student chapter meets the following criteria:
- Holds a student chapter charter.
- Has a chapter advisor who is a current SHRM member.
- Elects chapter officers annually.
- Submits the Student Chapter Information Form no later than September 30 each year.
- Has a minimum of eight student members in the chapter as of November 30 each year.
Inactive chapters are those that are not eligible for the Merit Award program, and their advisors are ineligible for the $100 advisor membership rate and cannot attend the SHRM Annual Conference at the advisor rate. These chapters are also ineligible for participation in any special chapter contests.
- Do not submit an annual Student Chapter Information Form.
- Do not expect to become active in the near future.
- Have been dormant for more than one year.
- Do not have a minimum of eight student members.
If an inactive chapter wishes to become active again, the student chapter advisor or department chair must submit a written request to the Student Programs office to reactivate the chapter charter. A Student Chapter Information Form, an updated copy of the chapter bylaws, a list of at least eight current SHRM student members and the chapter officer listing must also be submitted.
Questions? Contact Student Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-283-7476.